Recipes included: Pineapple-Carrot Gelatin, Cherry Banana Gelatin, Lime ‘n’ Cheese Gelatin
I’m always on the look-out for under 100 calorie goodies to enjoy as quickie snacks, desserts, or sides. Maybe it’s my age, having grown up in the Golden Days of Gelatin when no dinner feast or Pot Luck of merit lacked at least one gelatin mold of… something. Often nasty. But we kids ate tons of gelatin desserts and I still love them. Cool, sweet, fruity and refreshing. Great little afternoon snack alone or as part of a lunch plopped on cottage cheese with a couple of deviled eggs and salad.
Of course, I have 1/2 cup lidded containers for this among their numerous other uses. They are indispensable, especially if you take meals to work, for stuff like salad dressings, shrimp cocktail sauce, and other condiments. Perfect size for a satisfying hummus snack.
Because I have a severe aversion to most anything artificially sweetened, I use the regular gelatin mixes with sugar. If you like the artificially sweetened gelatins, go for it (and save more calories for wine)! Following are some of my favorites:
- 1 – 3 oz package lemon gelatin = 320 calories
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple = 140 cal
- 2 carrots, grated = 50 cal
Total calories = 510 divided by 8 (1/2 cup servings)= 64 calories each
- Prepare gelatin according to package directions.
- Grate a couple of carrots and divide between 8 containers.
- Divide crushed pineapple between containers.
- Top with cooled (still liquid) gelatin.
- Stir each a bit to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- 1 – 3 oz pkg cherry gelatin = 320 cal
- 3 ripe bananas, thinly sliced = 315 cal
Total calories = 635 divided by 8 = 79 calories each
Lime ‘n’ Cheese
- 1 – 3 oz pkg lime gelatin = 320 cal
- 1 – 16 oz container low-fat cottage cheese = 360 cal
Total calories = 680 divided by 8 = 85 calories each
Variation: Use half as much cottage cheese and add crushed pineapple. 80 calories each
You get the idea. Use any kind of fruit and gelatin flavors you like. For an extra treat, add a plop of fat-free Reddi-wip whipped cream for only 5 calories more.